I didn't know


This painting of a girl reading reminds me of myself as a young girl with my nose always in a book. I was a shy, artsy and dreamy kid who took things very personally. I didn't have a lot of confidence and always thought others knew more than I did. 

It's a shame that I didn't know that I was just as good as the other kids with a lot going for me. Too bad we don't get the insight and wisdom of age when we're young. Youth is wasted on the young as they say.

Oh well. I can't regret as I can't go back now and change any of it. It has made me the person I am today, both good and bad.

I wrote this poem exploring these thoughts. 


When I was young I didn’t know much
I was fairly clued out and not in touch,
I thought that others knew more than me
It was mostly untrue, but I couldn’t see,

I wish I hadn’t worried what others thought
It always made me so distraught,
I didn’t know that failing was a good thing to do
It meant that I had tried to learn something new,

I felt alone, like I didn’t belong
I had to learn to be tough and strong,
It took a long time and a lot of tears
With lots of suffering over the years,

Now I’m older with the wisdom of age
I look back on my youth like a wise old sage,
I discovered that I am creative and smart
With a sense of humour and a loving heart,

So many of my perceptions were never true
I didn’t know it back then, but now I do!



Comments

  1. Wise thoughts, vividly expressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Damyanti. Wish I'd known then what I know now!

      Delete
  2. Aw that's a sweet poem. I think a lot of introverts, I was one too, end up undervaluing themselves. Perhaps it is the low confidence level that makes them shy. Age is such a wonderful thing, isn't it? It puts your life in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tulika. Yes, the wisdom of age does help give us insight. If only I'd known then what I know now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Beauty of the Birds #AtoZChallenge

#MicroblogMonday - Small Actions Do Make a Difference